You’ve been in an accident. Here are some general guidelines about what to do next:
- Stop at once. Never leave the scene of even a MINOR accident. Do not block the roadway if at all possible.
- Seek medical assistance and summon police.
- Do not admit fault. Do not comment about the accident to anyone but your insurance representative and the police. Never accept or make an offer of cash, check or “private” settlement.
- Gather accident information. Note the date and time of accident.
- Obtain information on the other driver including: name, address, phone number, make of car, vehicle license number, insurance company and agent’s name and telephone number.
- Record a description of what occurred.
- Draw a diagram of the accident showing the direction of both cars and the point of the accident. Include street names and location of traffic signs/signals.
- Report the accident promptly to your insurance agent.